Our Market Blog
Don’t know how to cook your new veggies? Google recipes for Market veggies. Then share your cooking experiences, and find new ones, on our Market Community Food Blog!
Stop the Presses
- Please share this video with friends who want to know more about St. Pete Locally Grown. Thank you!
- edible Tampa Bay Featured Fall 2013 Issue
- 83 Degrees Media Featured Jan. 15, 2013 Issue
- In Creative Loafing Featured Sept. 6-12, 2012 Issue
- On local Fox News Interviews from May 2012
- “Charlotte Smiled” Blog Post with review of our Market business model and exemplary products!
What Are We Up To?
- Follow our Pinterest project to document all the great food growing right here in the St. Petersburg Community St. Pete’s Urban Growers on Pinterest Want to participate by posting your veggies? Just email email@example.com
- Check out our weekly fun preparing for Friday deliveries as we document this journey with wonderful volunteers! The Art of Distributing Food to the St. Petersburg Community
- Check Out New Posts on our Market Community Blog on Google: stpetelocallygrownnet.blogspot.com ; Like to author on our blog? Just email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you prefer Google+ over Facebook, we now have a Google Page. Please follow us?
- Please “Like Us”… On Facebook and tell your friends about us. A testimonial would be appreciated.
- We are now listed on Green Me Locally where you can find many other local eco-friendly companies in the Tampa Bay Area or leave us a review.
Market NOW Open - Jan. 25, 2016
To Contact Us
St. Pete Locally Grown
on the web
see volunteers on pinterest
see local urban growers on pinterest
Ready To Order?
sign in & shop now
FIRST TIME CUSTOMERS You are invited to watch our Market Tutorial before you begin. If you do not receive an email confirmation immediately after you order, then you did not click the SUBMIT ORDER button and we did not receive an order from you. Call your Market Manager for help.
So “WHAT’S NEW?” Growers Fluctuating This Week
The recent weather changes the best of plans for producing fresh harvest for our customers. Both Geraldson Community Farm & Glory Road Gardens are absent from the Market this week. Christa from GCF reported that “the fields are taking a beating” from the windy weather and Kevin from GRG emailed that “the cold has us delaying the harvest… so I can’t promise delivery…” Severe weather can create damage that isn’t immediately obvious until harvest so please keep your fingers crossed for our other Growers. The really good news is that Donna of Organically Inclined is back this week with dried goods, seeds, legumes, dried fruit, and nuts. She makes “cameo appearances” on our Market and always has items that no one else is able to provide. Take advantage and stock up! The quality of her items and her devotion to freshness make them four cuts above anything that you’ll find at local retailers.
Message from Your Market Manager
Beef Delivery This Week & Pork PRE-ORDERS Needed
If you have not yet PRE-ORDERED, please read about PRE-ORDERS on our Q&A page, before you place an order.
- Beef will be delivered this week to those who pre-ordered. I will make another trip to Land O’Lakes for beef in the February/March timeframe so feel free to submit PRE-ORDERS for the beef cuts listed on Market this week. It will be my last trip up there so plan to order soon.
- Please place your PRE-ORDER for pork now as this is just a one-time purchase for pork as a group. NOTE: PORK LOIN was added this week. We are just half way to meeting the $300 minimum order. If we get close enough to the minimum this week then there won’t be another chance for you to order any. I will be ordering too so this order will not be cancelled unless I have to spend way over $100 of my own funds. There is NOTHING like pastured pork. Let’s make this happen!
Fabulous Fall Veggies At Last
- Whfoods.com reports that “There’s research evidence for including at least one serving of an allium vegetable in your meal plan every day” and recommends 1 cup of chopped leeks to meet that requirement. Bon Appetit declares that “Leeks are cooler than onions” because they are sweeter and provides 12 of Our Very Favorite Leek Recipes so you can make it work for you!
- Did you know that using a portabello mushroom as a side dish with a source of animal protein like lean beef or a chicken breast will boost the protein content? Putting a portobello in a bun to make a sandwich boosts the carb content. They are high in fiber as well. They make great Portobello Mushroom Burgers.
- Italian parsley is a rich source of nutrients, several of which contribute to bone health. It’s used raw in salsas and pestos but is just as effective when cooked. Here are 25 Ways to Use Parsley so you can see for yourself.
SPLG’S FRUIT BASKET
Calamondin (aka sour oranges), starfruit aka carambolas, a variety of dried fruits (raisins, banana chips, and mango), papayas (ripe & green!), and Miracle Fruit —all locally grown in St. Pete. Non-local: Braeburn apples from Washington State and Bosc pears from Wenatchee, WA.
ECONOMY SIZED PACKAGING
FRESH picked greens in abundance this week: bok choy, broccoli greens, Lacinato kale, collard greens, turmeric, and Swiss chard. Thank Goodness for fall veggies!
ON SALE THIS WEEK
Coconut infused balsalmic vinegar, smoked Alaskan Sockeye Salmon, Braeburn apples, turmeric, and a Muscle & Joint Remedy.
KITCHEN GARDEN INTERNATIONAL
This month KGI addresses “How does your home-grown produce tackle food waste?” This article contends that “If food waste were a country, it would be the third biggest emitter of carbon dioxide after China and the USA.”
MARKET MEMBERSHIP FEE is now $30 if paid this month
If you have never ordered from us, you should know that the membership fee doesn’t get charged until your SECOND order. Our Market Season, formerly June 30th, NOW ends on March 31st instead. That’s $10 per month.
All these and more are posted on our Calendar of Events
WORKSHOPS & EVENTS
- *"Monthly Potluck Social" for February 27th is scheduled and I am thrilled that we are starting to cycle our potluck locations. Details to follow soon via Evite!
We thank you for your interest and support of our efforts to bring you the healthiest, the freshest and the most delicious locally-produced foods possible!