Message from Your Market Manager
Honey from Rebecca!
If you have yet to try honey from Rebecca’s Bees here is your chance. We’ve just been commissioned to sell 24 jars of this heavenly gold liquid. It’s flavor is exceptional and it’s supply is limited. Get it while you can. You can find her at Saturday Morning Market should you miss it here.
Broccoli, mushrooms, and potatoes on the Market this week. Ruby pink Florida grapefruit too!
Update on beef and pork
If you have not yet PRE-ORDERED, please read about PRE-ORDERS on our Q&A page, before you place an order.
- If you have PRE-ORDERED pork, you will receive it on Friday with whatever else you order this week. I did purchase a few extra roasts (Boston butt & a shoulder roast) that are now on hand, first come, first served. Future Pork PRE-ORDERS are now closed. Please note that Low Hills Cattle Company changed its name to Tenaya Farms as of the New Year. The pork packaging reflects this change; however, since this is our final purchase from them, I am not changing their Grower page. I will be sharing their connection info with all of you in the near future.
- Final Beef PRE-ORDERS are being taken for the next two Markets, including this week. I will deliver all beef orders the week of March 7th.
Fabulous Fall Veggies At Last
- This article contends that “the best vegetable for health, nutrition, detox, and glowing skin is the dandelion green. The biggest benefit of this overlooked leafy green is that it cleans the liver.” Makes me want to start making smoothies again! Check out How Dandelion Greens will Illuminate Your Skin.
- I learned something about growing fennel today! “After the bulb grows to about 2 inches in length, cover it with soil or mulch, which will make it tender.” This Guide to Fennel explains how to grow AND eat it.
- With the return of honey from Rebecca’s Bees it’s perfect timing on sharing the “treasure chest of hidden nutritional and medicinal value”… from Liquid Gold: 7 Health Benefits Of Honey That Could Heal Your Whole Body
SPLG’S FRUIT BASKET
Starfruit aka carambolas & papayas (ripe & green!) locally grown in St. Pete, plus a variety of dried fruits (cranberries, banana chips, and mango). Non-local: Ruby Pink Grapefruit from South Florida & Braeburn apples from Washington State.
ECONOMY SIZED PACKAGING
FRESH picked greens in abundance this week: Broccoli greens, Lacinato kale, collard greens, Swiss chard, turmeric, bok choy, and arugula.
ON SALE THIS WEEK
Earthworm castings, coffee, smoked Alaskan Sockeye Salmon, chorizo sausage, honey, and turmeric.
KITCHEN GARDEN INTERNATIONAL
This 2009 article from KGI is even more timely with rising vegetable pricing in the stores in 2016. You might be shocked at how much savings there are when you grow your own veggies. Not to mention the health benefits of the sweat equity. Check this out! “What’s a Home Garden Worth?”
MARKET MEMBERSHIP FEE is now $20 if paid this month
If you have never ordered from us, you should know that the membership fee doesn’t get charged until your SECOND order. Our Market Season, formerly June 30th, NOW ends on March 31st instead. That’s $10 per month.
All these and more are posted on our Calendar of Events
WORKSHOPS & EVENTS
- *"Monthly Potluck Social" for February 27th is scheduled and I am thrilled that we are starting to cycle our potluck locations. Evites have gone out! Hope to see you at Rita’s. Please do RSVP?