Message from Your Market Manager
Beef Delivery This Week & Pork PRE-ORDERS Needed
If you have not yet PRE-ORDERED, please read about PRE-ORDERS on our Q&A page, before you place an order.
- Beef will be delivered this week to those who pre-ordered. I will make another trip to Land O’Lakes for beef in the February/March timeframe so feel free to submit PRE-ORDERS for the beef cuts listed on Market this week. It will be my last trip up there so plan to order soon.
- Please place your PRE-ORDER for pork now as this is just a one-time purchase for pork as a group. NOTE: PORK LOIN was added this week. We are just half way to meeting the $300 minimum order. If we get close enough to the minimum this week then there won’t be another chance for you to order any. I will be ordering too so this order will not be cancelled unless I have to spend way over $100 of my own funds. There is NOTHING like pastured pork. Let’s make this happen!
Fabulous Fall Veggies At Last
- Whfoods.com reports that “There’s research evidence for including at least one serving of an allium vegetable in your meal plan every day” and recommends 1 cup of chopped leeks to meet that requirement. Bon Appetit declares that “Leeks are cooler than onions” because they are sweeter and provides 12 of Our Very Favorite Leek Recipes so you can make it work for you!
- Did you know that using a portabello mushroom as a side dish with a source of animal protein like lean beef or a chicken breast will boost the protein content? Putting a portobello in a bun to make a sandwich boosts the carb content. They are high in fiber as well. They make great Portobello Mushroom Burgers.
- Italian parsley is a rich source of nutrients, several of which contribute to bone health. It’s used raw in salsas and pestos but is just as effective when cooked. Here are 25 Ways to Use Parsley so you can see for yourself.
SPLG’S FRUIT BASKET
Calamondin (aka sour oranges), starfruit aka carambolas, a variety of dried fruits (raisins, banana chips, and mango), papayas (ripe & green!), and Miracle Fruit —all locally grown in St. Pete. Non-local: Braeburn apples from Washington State and Bosc pears from Wenatchee, WA.
ECONOMY SIZED PACKAGING
FRESH picked greens in abundance this week: bok choy, broccoli greens, Lacinato kale, collard greens, turmeric, and Swiss chard. Thank Goodness for fall veggies!
ON SALE THIS WEEK
Coconut infused balsalmic vinegar, smoked Alaskan Sockeye Salmon, Braeburn apples, turmeric, and a Muscle & Joint Remedy.
KITCHEN GARDEN INTERNATIONAL
This month KGI addresses “How does your home-grown produce tackle food waste?” This article contends that “If food waste were a country, it would be the third biggest emitter of carbon dioxide after China and the USA.”
MARKET MEMBERSHIP FEE is now $30 if paid this month
If you have never ordered from us, you should know that the membership fee doesn’t get charged until your SECOND order. Our Market Season, formerly June 30th, NOW ends on March 31st instead. That’s $10 per month.
All these and more are posted on our Calendar of Events
WORKSHOPS & EVENTS
- *"Monthly Potluck Social" for February 27th is scheduled and I am thrilled that we are starting to cycle our potluck locations. Details to follow soon via Evite!